Thursday, April 30, 2009

Monitors and Pumps

More news, more news...On Tuesday night, I kept waking up with more vaginal pressure and pain. I was so happy to go back to the doctor to see what was going on, as I'm seeing Dr. Baker weekly now. He checked me and I'm now 1 cm dialated and 60% effaced. I really thought that I was going to scream out cuss words as he was checking me. It felt like he was trying to grab my lungs!! It hurt soooooooooooo bad! I made it through that part though.
Then, he hooked me up to the monitors like last time. He found that I was still contracting. Figures!! I can't feel the contractions, but the vaginal pressure is probably my only way to identify the contractions. Well, since I can't feel them, Dr. Baker checked with my insurance and issued me a home monitoring system. I thought this was pretty cool. This way, I don't have to rush back into the doctor or hospital everytime I feel funky. Well, after we left the doctors office, Janita, my nurse called and said that we're going to change the plans. Since I was still having the side effects from the Terbutaline medicine, he was going to put me on a pump. I wasn't really sure what this was, but it sounded like an IV. Well, last night, a home health nurse came out to deliver the monitor and pump and showed me how to use all of it. It took her over 2 hours!! I was right, the pump is in my right leg and it's attached to a tube and a pager-sized machine that dispenses my medicine continuously into my body. I have to monitor my uterus twice a day, or more if I'd like. Then, I send the results to the home-health nurses. They call me back and talk to me about how much medicine to dispense.
After the nurse left, I was so overwhelmed. I started crying to Paul. I told him that I was just overwhelmed with all of the new changes, on top of not being able to do anything. For those of you who really know me, I'm very active. Sitting still is not an option for me. So, to have to have people do things for me while I just lay there is killing me!!
Luckily though, we've had some wonderful meals thanks to our friends and family. Paul's mom has been driving me to my doctor appointments and helping around the house. I think I've picked out Addison's "coming home" outfit, so she helped me wash that with a couple of other onesies in Dreft. Gosh, there are so many preparations for a baby!! You don't realize it all until you physically CAN'T do any of them!!
Again, thanks to everyone for all of the sweet words and prayers. I'm trying to stay as optimistic as possible. (Even though it is hard sometimes!) I go back to the doctor next Wednesday.
Oh, I forgot to say that this morning when I monitored, I had 4 contractions in 45 minutes. The nurses didn't seem too worried, which is good. I monitor between 8-11am and then again from 6-8pm at nights. More to come later on!!!!

1 comment:

  1. You're doing great! Rest up because you'll have sleepless night soon! Just remember Addison would rather stay inside you to grow, than spend time in a NICU. Only a couple more weeks and you guys will be good to go!!!